Re: Simple query: how to optimize - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PostgreSQL
Subject Re: Simple query: how to optimize
Date
List pgsql-performance
Postgres is somewhat speed-challenged on aggregate functions.
The most-repeated work-around would be something like:

SELECT u.user_id,
(SELECT activity_date
  FROM user_activity
  WHERE user_activity.user_id = pp_users.user_id
  AND user_activity_type_id = 7
  ORDER BY activity_date DESC
  LIMIT 1)
FROM pp_users u
WHERE u.userstatus_id <> 4
AND age(u.joined_date) < interval '30 days'

(code above is untested) I've read that aggregate functions are
improved in the 8.1 code.  I'm running 8.1beta3 on one machine
but haven't experimented to verify the claimed improvements.

Martin Nickel