Re: What does Time.MAX_VALUE actually represent? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: What does Time.MAX_VALUE actually represent?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Bear,

Please don't top post!

On 01/01/2018 06:17 AM, Bear Giles wrote:
> ​You don't need to store 25:20 in the database though - your app can
> use a window that treats a day as "from 5 am today until 5 am
> tomorrow" and adds 24:00 to the times for tomorrow.​
>
> Bear
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz <mailto:GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 12/31/2017 03:07 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>         We are having a discussion on the jdbc project about dealing
>         with 24:00:00.
>
>         https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/992#issuecomment-354507612
>         <https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/992#issuecomment-354507612>
>
>         Dave Cramer
>

>     In Dublin (I was there 2001 to 2004), Time tables show buses just
>     after midnight, such as 1:20am as running at the time 2520 - so
>     there are visible close to the end of the day.  If you are looking
>     for buses around midnight this is very user friendly - better than
>     looking at the other end of the time table for 0120.
>
>     I think logically that 24:00:00 is exactly one day later than
>     00:00:00 - but I see from following the URL, that there are other
>     complications...
>

>     Cheers,
>     Gavin

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the data base should store values
24:00:00 and greater!

For something like a time table, values like "24:00" and "25:20" should
be generated by software where (and if) appropriate.

Cheers,
Gavin