Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Tomek
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III
Date
List pgadmin-support
18 maja 2017 22:43 - "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>:

> On 18 May 2017, at 21:09, Eric Hill <Eric.Hill@jmp.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings or anything, but is it not obvious to everyone that pgAdmin
>> 4 (I have version 1.4) is bloody horrendous? It is absolutely as slow as Christmas. It’s use of
>> screen real-estate is poor. I was never a huge fan of pgAdmin III; I mean, it seemed to do its job
>> okay, but after using pgAdmin 4, suddenly I have newfound respect for pgAdmin III.
>
> Not to me, because the number of people I've had complimenting pgAdmin 4 is probably 20x the number
> who have said they don't like it. Which is a good sign - normally people who don't like something
> are far more likely to say something.
>
> Either way, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. pgAdmin 4 is far more stable than pgAdmin 3 was,
> has attracted more new developers in a year than pgAdmin 3 had in 15, and continues to improve with
> every release. I'm very proud of the way the team have built such a complex application in such a
> short space of time that many people have told me they like.
>
> You can't please everyone unfortunately, but then a) it's free (despite being estimated at over $2M
> worth of work), and b) it's open source so those that are inclined can help improve it further.
>
> Constructive feedback is always welcome of course. In your case maybe you could explain how you're
> using it such that you see slow response. For me, it performs well, even on my low powered 1.2GHz
> MacBook. It's naturally slower than pgAdmin 3 of course, as it's not a native application, but it
> still outpaces my ability to drive it and I'm no slouch behind the keyboard.

You don't care what You users say about Your software??? That's a nice statement...
I've posted here a list of what is missing/wrong in new pgAdmin - did You even commented on that?
What is this 'Constructive feedback'?

How 4 is more stable than 3? Please explain it to us... In 1.4 - query SELECT 2/0; returns
successfully...
And please, please explain to us how 'less and slower' is better than 'more and faster'...

I must ask it - do You even work with databases? Because from how You made new pgAdmin, it looks
like You don't have a clue what real dbadmins do...

You say pgAdmin 4 attracted more developers... I don't know how You measure it but for me - a guy
with more than 10 years work experience with PostgreSQL - it's a sign to move to another db...

I must say - You had a possibility that few developers have - make software from scratch - and You
made all possible mistakes:
- wrong toolkit (html... really??? - so many fast, portable toolkits and You picked the slowest...)
- less functionality (can't even copy/paste data from query...)
- waaay slower (10 times at least for everything - queries, browsing - even ui drags behind mouse)
- released alpha as stable.
- ...

--
Tomek