Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Carlo Stonebanks
>> <stonec.register@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> > 4) Is this the right PG version for our needs?
>>
>> 8.3 is very stable.  Update to the latest.  8.4 seems good, but I've
>> had, and still am having, problems with it crashing in production.
>> Not often, maybe once every couple of months, but just enough that I'm
>> not ready to try and use it there yet.  And I can't force the same
>> failure in testing, at least not yet.
>
> uh.  Is there a report of the crash somewhere with details, say stack
> traces and such?

No, the only server that does this is in production as our stats db
and when it happens it usually gets restarted immediately.  It does
this about once every two months.  Do the PGDG releases have debugging
symbols and what not?  I'll see about having a stack trace ready to
run for the next time it does this.