Re: Save MySQL? HA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Save MySQL? HA
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Andrew Lardinois <lardinois@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't help myself, but I've used mysql in the past, and got on a list of
> some sort once upon a time about that.  Just received an email petition from
> Monty to help save mysql.  Certainly you know the story:  Oracle buys Sun,
> which currently owns mysql, and the little dolphin get's flushed down the
> drain.  Perhaps they should watch The Cove, a documentary about dolphins
> biting the dust.

Be nice!  I really think that Oracle owning MySQL could be the best
thing to happen to it.  If they put even a tiny percentage of their
programming man power behind it they could have one of the fastest
key-value databases in myisam storage, which is very useful for
certain types of apps.  They could also fix a lot of long standing
mental retardation that's been allowed to live on forever (innodb
tables ignoring column level FK constraints, no FTS on innodb etc).

If they got it to the point that all the parts that burn with the
stupid were fixed, it would be useful as a sales tool, step up kinda
thing.

Monty made his be, let him lie in it.