Re: Server Requirements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Server Requirements
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Christine Penner
<christine@ingenioussoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we have clients that are going to buy new computers or upgrade current
> ones, what we can recommend to them for optimal system performance to run
> Postgres. These can be servers or desktop PCs. We can have from 1-10 users
> in at a time. At this point all of our database's are small but that can
> change of course.

Like Craig said, your description is pretty vague, so it's hard to say
what you need most to make your pgsql server run fast.

Generally, the order of things to do to make it fast are:  Add memory,
add hard drives, add battery backed caching RAID controllers, add more
CPU horsepower.

But it depends largely on your usage patterns.  So, what are you doing
with your db?