Re: Running some query in low priority - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Running some query in low priority
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM, S Arvind <arvindwill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Developers and Tuners,
>          Is there any way to run some query in low priority and some query
> in higher priority in pg. The main reason for this is i need my main
> application(high priority) to be undisturbed by the sub application(low
> priority) which is running on same DB. Is there anyother good way to operate
> this?

Are you IO or CPU bound?  If CPU bound get more CPUs.  If IO bound see
about getting more IO, specifically a fast RAID controller with
Battery Backed Cache, and a fair number of fast hard drives in a
RAID-10.  Trying to throttle one thing to get the others to run faster
can only buy you so much time. As load increases you'll need more CPU
or IO.

If the thing you're doing is CPU intensive, and it needs lots of CPUs,
then look at some form of replication to other boxes to throw more
CPUs at the problem.