Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Brad Nicholson
<bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 10:53 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>> > Moving it to standby immediately is a good idea, but it does not follow
>> > that you need to hit the DB over the head with a hammer.  A fast-mode
>> > shutdown seems perfectly adequate.  If it isn't, you're going to need
>> > nontrivial recovery effort anyhow.
>>
>> All of this is completely besides the point that a database that's
>> been shutdown immediately / had the power cord yanked comes back up
>> and doesn't start autovacuuming automatically, which seems a
>> non-optimal behaviour.
>
> It's also not going to endear us very much to the VLDB crowd - it will
> amounts to a multi-hour crash recovery for those folks while analyze
> regenerates statistics.

But this would be AOK behaviour for small transactional databases?

Again, besides the point, but important.  The real point is a database
that doesn't run autovac after an emergency shutdown is broken by
design, and not just for one use case.