Re: ZFS prefetch considered evil? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: ZFS prefetch considered evil?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Yaroslav Tykhiy<yar@barnet.com.au> wrote:

> Are you a local FreeBSD expert? ;-)  Jokes apart, I don't think this topic
> has to do with FreeBSD as such; it is mostly about making the advanced
> technologies of Postgresql and ZFS go well together.  Even ZFS developers
> admit that in database related applications exceptions from general ZFS
> practices and rules may be called for.

That may or may not be true.  What other OSes have ZFS someone could
try to duplicate your results and then test fixes for them?  I run
various linux flavors, but would be more than willing to repurpose a
test server for pgsql testing freebsd.  Got an 8 disk HW RAID machine
due in in a month I could test on for a few days.  It appears the only
way to run it under linux (my primary OS) is with fuse.  But I'm
willing to try it there too.