Re: Forcing seq_scan off for large table joined with tiny table yeilds improved performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Forcing seq_scan off for large table joined with tiny table yeilds improved performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Mario Splivalo
<mario.splivalo@megafon.hr> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Mario Splivalo
>> <mario.splivalo@megafon.hr> wrote:

>>> So, i removed the index on field_name, set
>>> default_default_statistics_target
>>> to 100, analyzed, and the results are the same:
>>
>> Why did you remove the index?
>>

> Because I already have index on that column, index needed to enforce PK
> constraint. Here is the original DDL for the table:
>
> CREATE TABLE photo_info_data
> (
>  photo_id integer NOT NULL,
>  field_name character varying NOT NULL,
>  field_value character varying,
>  CONSTRAINT photo_info_data_pk PRIMARY KEY (user_id, field_name)
> )
>
> CREATE INDEX photo_info_data_ix_field_value
>  ON user_info_data USING btree (field_value);
>
> So, there is index on (user_id, field_name). Postgres is using index for
> user_id (...WHERE user_id = 12345) but not on field-name (...WHERE
> field_name = 'f-spot'). When I add extra index on field name:
>
> CREATE INDEX photo_info_data_ix__field_name
>  ON user_info_data USING btree (field_name);
>
> Then that index is used.

On older versions of pgsql, the second of two terms in a multicolumn
index can't be used alone.  On newer versions it can, but it is much
less efficient than if it's a single column index or if the term is
the first one not the second.