Re: postmaster never finishes starting up, silent to boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: postmaster never finishes starting up, silent to boot
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hard to say with what you've told us so far.
>
> what more should I post/need? I was suspecting that as well as I've

Remember that mentiion of vmstat and top I made in my last post?
That's a good starting point.

> never had postgres be silent and not work -- I've also never let a db
> fill its disk and get f'ed like this. should I just let the pg_ctl
> start run it's course? for a 35GB+ database how long should I wait? is
> there no way to log the status of what the postgres daemon is actually
> doing while I wait? what's the standard course of action for a
> postgres instance that filled its disk and shut itself down -- if
> there is one?

Waiting is pretty much it, assuming it's doing something.

> apologies for the admittedly amateur questions but I haven't been able
> to find much for the situation I'm in.

Yeah, it's not that common.  So, is the machine truly sitting idle
during this period or is it trying to recover is the real question.