Re: strange index performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: strange index performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Thomas Finneid <tfinneid@fcon.no> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> I wrote a
>> simple test case for this and on a table with 100,000 entries already
>> in it, then inserting 10,000 in a transaction and 10,000 outside of a
>> transaction, I get insert rates of 0.1 ms and 0.5 ms respectively.
>> With a table with 1,000,000 rows already in place, the insert times
>> with all the fields in an index was 1.5ms and 4.3ms respectively.
>>
>> With only i1, i3, i4, val1 in the index, the numbers for a table with
>> 100,000 entries to start with was 0.1ms and 0.5 ms, just like the
>> above with the larger index.  With a 1,000,000 initial table, inserts
>> take 2.1 and 3.0 ms respectively.
>
> How do you run that setup, because those times are amazing, my inserts take
> about 220ms, constantly from the first row in the table to the 1.2 billionth
> row. The client I was using for the inserts is a bare-bone use case
> simulation tool I have written in java, to test different insert and query
> strategies for this application. Its using JDBC copy to do the inserts.

The setup was a simple PHP script.  I've attached it to this email.

> There is one thing you should know though, and that is that the real table I
> am using has 20 value fields where the 6 first fields contains a value, but
> that does not affect the difference int eh the execution time of the two

Yes, but it will increase the insert time to the table depending very
much on the size of those other fields.

>> So I don't think you've found the cause of your problem with the smaller
>
> I dont quite understand what you are saying here, but I assume you are
> saying that the smaller index is not the cause of the increased insert time?

Yes, that's what I was saying.

> If so, I did the test with both indexes on exactly the same db and setup.
> And when the index uses all four ids the insert time is larger than if I
> only use id1,3,4.

I thought it was the other way around for you, that the smaller index
was slower.

> What concerns me about your test, is that you dont seem to get constant
> insert times, so there is a difference between the two tests, which miuch be
> why you dont see the problem I am seeing with my index.

Yes, you need to look at things like increasing the number of wal
segments and checkpointing.  If a checkpoint is kicking in it's going
to slow everything down.

What version pgsql are you running?  My tests were on 8.3.x on a
core2duo laptop with a stock slow 80Gig hard drive, but most likely
it's lying about fsync, so that could explain some of the numbers.

I just ran it on my real server, since it's late at night, there's not
much else going on.  With 1M rows created ahead of time I got similar
numbers:

0.12 ms per insert with all 10,000 inserted in a transaction
0.24 ms per insert with each insert being individual transactions
(i.e. no begin; commt; wrapped around them all)  This is on a machine
with a 12 disk RAID-10 array under an Areca 1680ix controller with
512M battery backed cache.  Note that the table had no other columns
in it like yours does.

Attachment