Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where you *will* have some major OS risk is with testing-level software
>> or "bleeding edge" Linux distros like Fedora. Quite frankly, I don't
>> know why people run Fedora servers -- if it's Red Hat compatibility you
>> want, there's CentOS.
>
> I've had no stability problems with Fedora.  The worst experience I've
> had with that distribution is that half the time the CD-burning
> utilities seem to be flaky.  As for why that and not CentOS...  I like
> having modern versions of all of my packages.  5 years is a long time
> to get nothing but bugfixes.

We basically do the same thing with our app tier servers, chasing the
next to latest ubuntus so we aren't running really old bits there.

For the db level it's RHEL with pgsql.  Ubuntu has been pretty stable
on the app tier, but we don't push it in the same ways we push our
databases either.