Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> running pgsql.  The others, running Oracle, db2, Ingress and a few
> other databases all came back up with corrupted data on their drives
> and forced nearly day long restores.

Before anyone thinks I'm slagging all other databases here, the
problem wasn't the db software, but the sysadmin / dbas who
administered those machines.  They stared in horror when I tested my
server by pulling the power cords out the back during acceptance
testing.

They also told me we could never lose power in the hosting center
because it was so wonder and redundant and that I was wasting my time.
 We lost power on a Friday afternoon.  I went skiing that weekend with
a friend, my system was up and running when it got power again.  I'm
pretty sure the other dbas at that company weren't skiing that
weekend. :)