Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just to elaborate on the horror that is a Dell perc5e.  We
>> have one in
>> a 1950 with battery backed cache (256 Meg I think).  It has
>> an 8 disk
>> 500Gig SATA drive RAID-10 array and 4 1.6GHz cpus and 10
>> Gigs ram.
>
> Our perc5i controllers performed better in raid 5 that 10. Sounds like the comment you made when I was wasting my
timewith that perc3 fits all dell cards perfectly; "brain damaged"

One of the beauties of the whole Dell RAID card naming scheme is that
a Perc5i and a Perc5e can be made by different manufacturers and have
completely different performance characteristics.  The only common
factor seems to be the high level of suck they managed to generate.