Re: Perc 3 DC - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Perc 3 DC
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> --- Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Yeah the battery is on there, and in the BIOS it says it's
>> "PRESENT" and the status is "GOOD".
>>
>> If I remember correctly, older LSI cards had pretty poor
>> performance
>> in RAID 1+0 (or any layered RAID really).  Have you tried setting
>> up
>> RAID-1 pairs on the card and then striping them with the OS?
>>

> Not yet no, but that's a good suggestion and I do intend to give it a
> whirl.  I get about 27MB/s from raid 1 (10 is about the same) so
> hopefully I can up the throughput to the speed of about one disk with
> sw raid.
>
> For kicks I did try raid 5 on it; 6.9MB/s made it hard to resist
> going to get the hammer, which is still a very attractive option.

Well, I prefer making keychain fobs still, but from a technical
perspective, I guess either option is a good one.

Srsly, also look at running pure sw RAID on it with the controller
providing caching only.  I don't expect a PERC 3DC to win any awards,
but the less you give that card to do the better off you'll be.