Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:09 AM, 小波 顾 <guxiaobo1982@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Data Compression
>
> The new data compression feature in SQL Server 2008 reduces the size of
> tables, indexes or a subset of their partitions by storing fixed-length data
> types in variable length storage format and by reducing the redundant data.
> The space savings achieved depends on the schema and the data distribution.
> Based on our testing with various data warehouse databases, we have seen a
> reduction in the size of real user databases up to 87% (a 7 to 1 compression
> ratio) but more commonly you should expect a reduction in the range of
> 50-70% (a compression ratio between roughly 2 to 1 and 3 to 1).

I'm sure this makes for a nice brochure or power point presentation,
but in the real world I can't imagine putting that much effort into it
when compressed file systems seem the place to be doing this.