Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you saying you have to reconnect to change schemas?  In Oracle and
>> PostgreSQL both you can change the current schema (or schemas for
>> postgresql) with a single inline command.
>
> No I meant you have to change the schema after connecting.
>
> Some hosts only give you one db & one user. Yeh it sucks but that's all they
> give you.

Yeah, if you could at least have multiple users with pgsql it would be
ideal.  connect via user1, inherit his search_path, connect via user2,
inherit the default search path, etc...

> Before anyone says "get a new host".. from the end user POV.. you don't know
> and/or don't care about the technical details, you just want something "that
> works" with what you have. It's not an ideal situation to be in but it
> definitely does happen.

Understood.  We aren't all working on large corporate in house servers
for our stuff that we can configure how we want.

>>> Shared hosts don't give you a lot of resources, so apps build stuff like
>>> that in to make it easier.
>>
>> Schemas cost virtually nothing.
>
> Neither does building a smart(er) app which lets you set a "prefix" for all
> of your tables so they are grouped together.

True.  Given that MySQL treats the first of three identifiers in dot
notation as a db, and pg treats them as a schema, it would be a better
solution to have pg use schemas and mysql use dbs.  Except for the
hosting providers.

> You'll get a tiny performance hit from doing the replacement of the prefix,
> but it's not going to be significant compared to everything else.

Yeah, it's likely lost in the noise.  I'd be more worried about ugly queries.