Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Christophe <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> But whether it's oracle or postgresql, this is just security through
>> obscurity. If you have root access on the server either method would
>> be trivial to hack.
>
> Oh, sure.  (Same is true of Oracle, of course.)  I wouldn't use it myself,
> but if this is a feature-checkbox item, that's how you'd need to go about
> doing it.

But as long as there is real progress to be made elsewhere, I'd rather
the hackers use their efforts there.  I'm not such a big fan of
checkboxes, and tend to look under the hood at what was done to make
the checkbox work.  Like MySQL has built in replication.  Sure, it's
not suitable for a large percentage of uses, is unreliable, and prone
to silent failure, but they got the box checked for it.

The problem is that people often assume that once the box is checked
they don't need to go / look any farther. I'd rather have postgresql's
slightly confusing but huge choice in replication engines than the one
in mysql that's limited and unreliable.