Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Matthew Pettis
<matthew.pettis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> Ok, I changed my pg_hba.conf from the commented line to the following
> line to try to open things up for now (I know I will need more
> security, but I'm trying to open things up wide to find the problem):
>
> --- pg_hba.conf --------------------
> # IPv4 local connections:
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
>
> and made the following change to postgresql.conf (the line was
> previously commented out):
> --- postgresql.conf ----------------
> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>
> I still am getting the same error from my application (which I believe
> is passing on some postgresql error info:

> Error reported was 'FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user
> "postgres"
> '.

You need to restart the postgresql service for the listen_addresses to
take effect, and either restarting or reloading will make the changes
you made in pg_hba.conf take effect.