Re: automatic REINDEX-ing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: automatic REINDEX-ing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Joao Ferreira gmail
<joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:

>> TW, "more aggressive routine vacuuming" does NOT mean "use vacuum
>> full".
>> Vacuum full tends to make index bloat worse, not better.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>>
> Ok. so what does it mean ?
>

> I'm a bit lost here.  I'm currently executing VACUUM FULL _and_ REINDEX
> (tbls & idxs) every week.
>
> Should I keep the REINDEX and drop VACUUM FULL ?
>
> How do I iterate to a better approach ?

It's better to run REGULAR vacuums more often than to vacuum full OR
reindex OR both.

If your machine doesn't have the I/O bandwidth to withstand being
vacuumed during the day then you either have to have a fairly large
free space map and vacuum off hours or buy a machine with more I/O
bandwidth.

With the sleep settings in vacuum and autovacuum you can usually get
away with autovacuum running during the day.