Re: compiling, performance of PostGreSQL 8.3 on 64-bit processors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: compiling, performance of PostGreSQL 8.3 on 64-bit processors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Douglas McNaught" <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Benjamin Weaver
>> <benjamin.weaver@classics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Not knowing about such things, I was scared by the following quote.
>
>> Distro support for 64-bit x86 in 2004 was light-years behind where it
>> is now.  A lot of stuff was hard to get working back then.  Now almost
>> everything basically Just Works.
>
> Even in 2004, the guy would have had to be working on a rather old or
> broken distro to justify such a complaint.  Getting 64-bit to work was
> a live issue maybe around 2001 or so...

Yeah, I thought his complaint about pg 64 bit compiling was a bit
wacky.  I was building 8.0 and 8.1 64 bit on our servers back then and
/ or installing x86_64 rpms with no problems at all in 2004/5 or so.

MySQL compiling on the other hand, has always been a frakking nightmare.