Re: Partitioned table limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Partitioned table limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/1/07, Goboxe <hadzramin.ar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any limitations on number of child tables that can be use
> in
> partitioned table?
>

> I am currently having weekly partitioned tables (using partitioned
> view in SQL Server) that I kept for 2 years.
> In total, there will be 52 * 2 = 104 tables exist at one time in the
> partition.
>

> I am migrating from SQL Server to pg. Can pg support that number of
> tables?
>

> How about if I want to convert it as daily tables (356 * 2 years =
> 712
> tables).
> Is this recommended?

I've played around with as many as 1,000 child tables.  By then, the
planning time becomes noticeably longer than for a single table, but
the response time is still so much faster that it's worth it.  Note
I'm talking only a fraction of a second planning time, even at 1,000
tables.

If you are going over 100 tables, make sure you're using triggers for
updating the child tables not rules, as rules are far too slow when
there's over 50 or so tables to look choose from.