Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT,UPDATE,...,...,... ON database.* to username - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT,UPDATE,...,...,... ON database.* to username
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/30/07, dterrors@hotmail.com <dterrors@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't care if it's part of the SQL standard or not. I don't care if
> oracle does it or not.  You're losing mysql converts as they go
> through the tutorial and get to this point.

If that's all it takes for them to switch, seriously, I'd rather see
them go.  There are other solutions, like using a role instead of a
user for the target of the permissions.

> There's like a hundred posts asking for this for the past four years,
> and all they get in response is standards nazi's saying it won't be
> supported because it's not in the standard

Ummm.  no.  I've never seen that response.  I have seen plenty of
people saying that no one's had the urge to hack it into working code.
 Also, a common answer is to use roles (i.e. groups) for such things.
grant permission to the role, add users to the role, all done.

> and telling them to write
> their own functions.

About 75% of the time I see that response, it comes with the actual
code to do just that.  I.e. cut and paste and voila, you've got the
functions.

> You write the function. Fuck the standard and
> wake up.

Me?  What about you?  The fact is there's a limited number of hackers
capable of writing what you're asking for cleanly and correctly, and
they're working on other stuff.  Asking them politely has been know to
work.  Using the F word not so much.