Re: socket file missing - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: socket file missing
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 9/14/07, nus4u@gmx.net <nus4u@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> BUT : I could not connect via psql for example.
> Message :
> > Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the
serverrunning locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

> There was no file in the /tmp Directory !
> I make a restart via the init skript and then everything was ok!
> Again i restarted the whole PC and again the socket file was missing and a restarting via the init skript helps.

Sounds like postgresql is being started, and then the /tmp directory
is being cleared of old files by your OS.  What's the Sxx number on
the startup file in /etc/init.d/rcx.d that you're using (assuming SYSV
init)