Re: Terminology Question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Terminology Question
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 8/20/07, Campbell, Lance <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Terminology Question:
>
> If I use the following statement:
>
> I am backing up schema XYZ every 30 minutes.
>
> Does this statement imply that I am only backing up the definition of the
> data?  Or does it mean that I am backing up the definition of the data and
> the data within the schema object?

In db parlance, schema means two different things really.

One is that layout of your data (how tables are related etc...)
The other is the namespace that a set of objects can live in.  i.e.
There is a certain amount of overlap here as well.

dbname.schemaname.objectname.fieldname

In this instance, "backing up" a schema pretty much implies the
namespace version of schema.

OTOH, a phrase like "I think your schema has some design flaws pretty
obviously points to the first definition relating to the layout of
your data.