Re: Customizing psql console to show execution times - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Customizing psql console to show execution times
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/15/07, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> In some examples posted to this forum, it seems to me that when people
> execute queries in the psql window, they also see "90 ms taken"
> (milliseconds), which denotes the time taken to execute the query.
> Where can I set this option because I'm not seeing it in my psql
> window on both Win XP and Linux. Thanks!

If your on an OS with a time command (linux, windows with the gnu
utils ported to it) you can do:

time psql -c "select ..."

OR you can do

echo "\\\timing\nselect ...."|psql dbname

This is all from linux.  I don't know how this "windows" you speak of
works really.  Seriously, I stopped using it so long ago I'm lost when
I'm on it.