Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters
Date
In response to Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters  (Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com>)
Responses Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters  (Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2022-07-11 at 05:37 +0000, Ken Yeung wrote:
> In the course of upgrading a bunch of database clusters from 10 to 14 using pg_upgrade tool, some databases result in
thefollowing error recorded in pg_upgrade_dump_1.log, such that cluster upgrade

> fails.
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> This was done on Microsoft Windows 11.
> PostgreSQL 10 and 14 used are built using Visual Studio 2015.
> Only a small number of database clusters has this problem, around 2 of 200.
> It appears these database are used from earlier cluster upgrade from 9.4 to 10 as well.
>
> It would be very helpful if there is any possible workaround to overcome this problem.
>
> I attached a sample pg_upgrade_dump_1.log reported this error.

You configured "pg_hba.conf" so that a local login without password is
not possible.  The easiest solution is to change the "pg_hba.conf"
entries for "localhost" in IPv4 and IPv6 to "trust" for the duration of
the upgrade.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe