[PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From A B
Subject [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware
Date
List pgsql-performance
So, the eternal problem with what hardware to buy. I really miss a
hardware buying guide for database servers now that I'm about to buy
one..
Some general guidelines mixed  with ranked lists of what hardware that
is best, shouldn't that be on the wiki?.

THis is of course very difficult to advice about, but shouldn't
geneeral advice be like:
1) A fast CPU but not on the bleeding edge
2) As much RAM as you can fit into the machine without paying way to
much for it. Use the fastest ram you can find (what is it called
today? PC 1333 MHz or something like that?)
3) Fast harddiscs. Best is raid X (what raid should one use?)
4) Use software raid unless you have the money to buy a raid
controller, in which case here is the ranking of them
      <list of brand/modells>
   ordered by quality and a general comment on  exactly how much
better they are than the one below on the list ;-)