Re: color by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: color by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-03-30 10:03, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 02:55:37PM +0200, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
>> Add it to the tests done when PG_COLOR is "auto".
>
> FWIW, I am not sure that it is a good idea to stick into the code
> knowledge inherent to TERM.  That would likely rot depending on how
> terminals evolve in the future, and it is easy to test if a terminal
> supports color or not but just switching PG_COLOR in a given
> environment and look at the error message produced by anything
> able to support coloring.

There could be some value in this, I think.  Other systems also do this
in some variant.  However, it's unclear to me to what extent this is
legacy behavior or driven by current needs.  I'd be willing to refine
this, but it should be based on some actual needs.  What terminals (or
terminal-like things) don't support color, and how do we detect them?