Re: createdb errors and more - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rikard Bosnjakovic
Subject Re: createdb errors and more
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 17:55, Reno Bladergroen
<reno.bladergroen@telenet.be> wrote:

> I installed pgsql according to the manual, generated a data folder, changed ownership to postgres, switched user
postgresand initialized the database. starting the database is also successful (status says running).

[...]

I assume you are talking about the steps similiar to the ones listed
under 14.1 Short Version here;
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/installation.html. If
so, peek around the logfile produced for postmaster and see if you can
find anything useful in there.

To me, the problems sounds like the initdb-command failed somehow,
since you get the message "could not connect to server", but it could
also mean that the server actually did not start. What happens if you
do "telnet localhost 5432"? If you get a reply, the server is atleast
up and running.

--
- Rikard