Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/10/23 4:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Thus, +1 on actually keeping it up and dropping it immediately as v17
>> opens, giving them a year of advantage. And probably updating the docs
>> (if anybody were to read them.. but at least then we tried) stating
>> that it's deprecated and will be removed in v17.
>
> Yeah, I think that's the only feasible answer at this point.
> Maybe a month or two back we could have done differently,
> but there's not a lot of runway now.
>
> Once we do drop src/tools/msvc from HEAD, we should make a point
> of reminding -packagers about it, in hopes that they'll work on
> the transition sooner than next May.

[personal opinion, not RMT]

The last point would be my reasoning for "why not now" given deadlines
are a pretty good motivator to get things done.

That said, if the plan is to do this "shortly thereafter" for v17 and it
makes the transition easier, I'm all for that.

Jonathan

Attachment