Re: SLEEP in posgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harpreet Dhaliwal
Subject Re: SLEEP in posgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
I think pg_sleep is not implemented in 8.1 and earlier versions. Is there any alternative if someone is using versions before 8.2 ?

On 10/9/07, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote:
Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a while loop and I want to re-iterate after every 't' seconds.
> I was reading up on the postgresql documentation that says pg_sleep(t)
> should be handy.
> However i doesn't work.

Hmmm, I'm looking at section 9.9.5 Delaying Execution in the PostgreSQL
8.2.0 Documentation.  Following the example presented there, I fired up
psql and ran the following:

postgres=# select current_timestamp; select pg_sleep(3); select
current_timestamp;
             now
----------------------------
  2007-10-09 23:50:32.649-04
(1 row)

  pg_sleep

(1 row)

             now
  2007-10-09 23:50:35.774-04
(1 row)

Seems to be working.  What version are you using and on what platform?

--
Guy Rouillier