Re: Data migration from version 7.2.1 to 8.1.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arindam
Subject Re: Data migration from version 7.2.1 to 8.1.5
Date
List pgsql-general
> Arindam <arindam.mukerjee@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 2/8/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Now you *should* be using the newer pg_dump to dump from the old
> >> database --- that's considered good practice.  But you need an
> >> up-to-date pg_restore to read its output.
>
> > Well this time I got it dumped using 8.1.5 and tried restoring it too
> > with 8.1.5 - however no difference in the result.
>
> [ experiments a bit... ]  Apparently you have still a third version
> laying about someplace, because that message actually must be coming
> from a 7.3 or 7.4 pg_restore.  Check your PATH.
>
> $ pg_dump -Ft -s regression >zzz.tar
> $ ~postgres/version82/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> 6450 17782 136294
> $ ~postgres/version81/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> 6455 17788 136330
> $ ~postgres/version80/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> 6587 18184 139822
> $ ~postgres/version74/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.10) in file header
> 0 0 0
> $ ~postgres/version73/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.10) in file header
> 0 0 0
> $ ~postgres/version72/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive
> 0 0 0
> $ ~postgres/version71/bin/pg_restore zzz.tar | wc
> Archiver: input file does not appear to be a valid archive
> 0 0 0
> $

Lousy me. I qualified it with the full path - it worked. Earlier I was
running pg_restore and it was coming from /usr/bin - version 7.3.6.

Thank you.

Against stupidity, the very Gods themselves contend in vain --
Friedrich Schiller