Re: New versioning scheme - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: New versioning scheme
Date
Re: New versioning scheme
List pgsql-advocacy
On 13/05/16 18:55, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2016-05-12 8:54 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> In my view, the principal advantage of the current system is that it
>> slow version number inflation.  Bumping the first version number every
>> year causes you to burn through ten numbers a decade rather than ~2,
>> and I find that appealing.
>>
>> But of course that's a matter of opinion.
>
> This implies that numbers are a scarce resource, which they are not,
> we have an infinite number of them.  Also mind that even going this
> way, we aren't going to get to the end of the 2-digit major versions
> for a century. -- Darren Duncan

How about we initiate hyper inflation and call the next version of pg
1000, so it appears to be 100 times better than MySQL which is only on
version 10 - we can always give pg a version number greater than
whatever the MySQL crowd assigns there latest version - after all 'we
have an infinite number of them'!

Simply because there are more numbers than we need, does NOT mean that
we SHOULD to go for larger numbers!

I accept that the differences between pg 9.0 & 9.6 are greater than
between pg 8.0 & 9,0 - so renaming the current 9.6 as 10, or the next
(9.7) as 10 - seems quite reasonable to me.

I would not object to having a version 9.42 in a few years - though not
for more than a few seconds!   :-)