Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests to fail - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nicolai Tufar
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests to fail
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:38:58 -0500 (EST), pgsql@mohawksoft.com
<pgsql@mohawksoft.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason why we don't use the snprintf that comes with the
> various C compilers?

snprintf() is usually buried in OS libraries. We implement
our own snprintf to make things like this:
snprintf(buf,"%2$s %1$s","world","Hello");
which is not supported on some platforms work.

We do it for national language translation of
messages. In some languages you may need
to change order of parameters to make a meaningful
sentence.

Another question is why we are using it for printing
values from database. I am not too good on function
overriding in standard C but maybe there is a way
to usage of standard snprintf() in a particular place.