Re: end of life for pg versions... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: end of life for pg versions...
Date
Re: end of life for pg versions...
List pgsql-general
On Feb 11, 2008 8:04 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
> I did manage to find an announcement about the support of pg for
> windows... but I wasn't able to see anything you'd have a summary of
> scheduled and planned EOL for various pg versions (on different
> platform).

There have been some secondary sources for support that simultaneously
promise longer support times than PGDG does...

For instance, support for 7.3 has essentially ceased, but Red Hat has
that included in some version(s) of their distributions that still
have some time to run before they fall out of RHAT support.  So if
issues come up with  7.3, they *may* be indirectly addressed thru
someone like RHAT.

Similarly, Sun or EnterpriseDB may make support promises that exceed
what PGDG offers.

What you'll find, in practice, is that if you have issues with old
versions, and report such, people will be quick to recommend upgrading
to some version that is less ancient.

Nothing has crystallized into a "real policy;" if someone feels like
backpatching bug fixes back to 7.1, nothing is stopping them from
doing so.  But that takes more time and effort, so the eldest version
that is now still getting patched is 7.4.  And it is pretty plausible
that that may change to 8.0 in the next year or so.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling