Re: On what we want to support: travel? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 11/1/06, Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de> wrote:
> Also sprach Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net)
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > ISTM expanding the user base is one of the best things we can do for
> > > our existing users.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Today's new user might be tomorrow's new developer.

I can't agree with that terribly strongly.

The easier we make it for people to add themselves to the user base,
the less likely they are to be to be as heavily committed as those who
joined the user base during "harder times."

That shouldn't be taken as an argument for trying to make PostgreSQL
harder to access, just that the easier we make it for people to join
the user base, the more people that are NOT deeply committed we'll see
come.

That being said, today's new user might be the one that, tomorrow,
helps get a port of Application Frobozz to PostgreSQL.  That's of
nonzero positive value :-).
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html