Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD
Date
List pgsql-general
<Typing80wpm@aol.com> wrote in message news:b8.72030621.2fac7092@aol.com...

> It is just too bad that there is not a better, more user friendly, well
> documented front-end tool for Postgresql in open source.  It really is
> kind  of a
> marketing issue, in a way. I mean, if someone could really put together
> some
> sort of  "Postgresql for Dummies" series with something like Rekall  for a
> front end with some REAL LIFE examples or projects that ACTUALLY DO
> SOMETHING
> USEFUL, rather than just paint a form to go  first/last/next/add/save....
> if
> someone could put together something like THAT,  then, perhaps things
> would
> really take off.  I dont know. Just a  thought.  All the ingredients and
> raw
> materials are lying around just  waiting for someone to do that.

Hear, hear.  Speaking as another self-taught database user and programmer, I
have a gripe about most (nearly all) books on programming, which don't (or
else poorly) address questions like:
* What useful stuff can you do with this?
* Why was this technology (language etc.) invented, i.e. what problem was it
designed to solve, and why is it better than competing technologies?
* What is the point of exotic feature xyz (i.e. what is it really there
for)?
* How do you put together a working application that does something useful?

If anyone here can suggest books that really address those questions, I for
one will be all ears.