[HACKERS] Re: [patch] reorder tablespaces in basebackup tar stream forbackup_label - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject [HACKERS] Re: [patch] reorder tablespaces in basebackup tar stream forbackup_label
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/4/17 2:20 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 1:13 AM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
>> Ah right, i assumed there must be something, otherwise the comment
>> won't be there ;)
>>
>> We could special case that part to distinguish fetch/stream mode, but i
>> fear that leads to more confusion than it wants to fix. The other
>> option of a separate tar file looks awkward from a usability point of
>> view.
>
> It is possible as well to group the WAL files in a different tarball
> than the main directory and put that at the tail of the list for the
> fetch mode, while the main directory gets at the head. That would
> break things for existing users by the way, and just being able to
> look at the LSN start location before receiving the tar bytes of the
> backup does not seem enough to justify such a breakage.

This thread is stalled and it looks like the patch may not be workable,
at least in the current form.

I will mark this a "Returned with Feedback" on 2017-03-17 unless there
are arguments to the contrary.

Thanks,
--
-David