Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi NA
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
2006/11/22, Brandon Aiken <BAiken@winemantech.com>:

> Gee, didn't Unicode just so simplify this codepage mess?  Remember when it was just ASCII, EBCDIC, ANSI, and
localizedcodepages?

Unicode is a heaven sent, compared to 3 or 4 codepages representing
any given (obviously non-English) language, and 3 or 4 more for every
other language you have to deal with in your application. Perfect?
Hardly. But then again, much more so than natural languages.
I'd say we'd deliver products 10-20% faster (in the company I work in)
if people looked ahead a couple of decades ago and decided upon
something along the lines of unicode instead of ASCII.

Cheers,
t.n.a.