Re: postgres import - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi NA
Subject Re: postgres import
Date
List pgsql-general
2006/11/2, Albe Laurenz <all@adv.magwien.gv.at>:

> >> INSERT statements? You dumped with the -d flag, didn't you?
> >
> > No I didn't, actually. :) The data was never in the database in the
> > first place: it was generated from a different source. True, it was
> > generated as a CSV file which I converted into INSERT statements, but
> > conversion between the two is not a problem (given 1.5GB of RAM).
>
> Then the best way is to convert it back to a CSV and use the COPY
> statement to load in into the table (or \copy from psql).
> You don't need any third party tools for that, it's all in PostgreSQL.

I had a problem with copy, but I can't remember what exactly...come to
think of it, it could have probably done the job...assuming I define
the primary key as DEFAULT nextval('id'), as I had no id in the rows I
was importing...nice to have alternatives. Thanks for the suggestion.

t.n.a.