Re: import data from openoffice Calc - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Le-shin Wu
Subject Re: import data from openoffice Calc
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your information. I think your suggestion will be my last approach, if I really can not find a way to solve my problem. Actually, I tried to format the cells type (the "date" column in my sheet) in Calc as "Date" before I copy and past, but somehow it works for only once. This also confused me. Thanks again.

LW

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 01 December 2009 7:40:26 am Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 7:21:45 am Le-shin Wu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use OpenOffice Base as the front end tool to connect a postgreSQL
> > server. It works great. But when I am trying to create a table by copying
> > data from OpenOffice Calc and then pasting to my postgreSQL database
> > (connected through OpenOffice base), I always got an invalid input syntax
> > error for type "date". My original data showing in Clac is "12/17/99",
> > but when OpenOffice base tries to insert this data into a table, it
> > became "36509". The actual error is as below, can anyone help me to fix
> > this problem. Thanks a lot.
> >
> > pq_driver:[PGRES_FATAL_ERROR]ERROR: invalid input syntx for type date:
> > "36509"
> > (caused by statement 'INSERT INTO "public"."DF"
> > ("STK_NO","Date","Comments") VALUES ('11','36509','small inversion'))
> >

> > LW
>
> The problem is that dates in spreadsheets are stored as days from some
> date. For a more complete answer see:
> http://www.lexicon.net/sjmachin/xlrd.html
>
> On the above page is a link to the OO documentation for spreadsheets. The
> trick is to copy the formatted date not the underlying value. I know I have
> done that in the past but at this point in time I cannot remember how. You
> might want to Google OO base spreadsheet date conversion or something
> similar.

I remember now. I exported the data as a csv file and then loaded into Postgres.
The export converts the dates to strings representing their formatted values
not the underling integer.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net