UPDATE using sub selects - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From NikhilS
Subject UPDATE using sub selects
Date
Re: UPDATE using sub selects  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: UPDATE using sub selects  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-patches
Hi,

As per discussion on -hackers, a patch which allows updates to use subselects is attached with this mail.

As per discussion with Tom, I have adopted the following approach:

* Introduce ROWEXPR_SUBLINK type for subqueries that allows multiple column outputs.
* Populate the targetList with PARAM_SUBLINK entries dependent on the subselects.
* Modify the targets in-place into PARAM_EXEC entries in the make_subplan phase.

The above does not require any kluges in the targetList processing code path at all.

UPDATEs seem to work fine using subselects with this patch. I have modified the update.sql regression test to include possible variations .

No documentation changes are present in this patch.
Feedback, comments appreciated.

Regards,
Nikhils
--