Re: Fwd: Reversing flow of WAL shipping - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Fwd: Reversing flow of WAL shipping
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM, David Jantzen <djantzen@ql2.com> wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Joshua, much appreciated.  Is there any
way to avoid or minimize a period without a warm standby when I switch
to Server B for production?  What about rsyncing the data directory
from Server B to Server C after B goes live?

I have seen it work before if server B's archive_command puts logs into the same directory that server A was putting them.  After the switch you need to stop and then restart server C, it should pick up the new timeline.

Note:  I did try this on 8.3 and it works... I would however note that you have many cogs with this and that (my preferred) safest strategy is to do a resync just as JD described.  Using what I just talked about may end up causing more downtime in the event of a failure then it would take to just resync the database in general.  I should also say that I only tried this on a database of about 3 GB with only about 1 day's worth usage.

--Scott