Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Roland Hughes <roland@logikalsolutions.com> wrote:

> > I'm trying to avoid the pain of unload/recreate/reload when upgrading OS

> > versions. In many cases, they don't even change the Postgres version.

> > Unloading multiple TB of binary data to text then reloading is a major

> > tactical problem.

   Since you seem to have lost your original data directory, you may be out of luck.  The only thing I can figure would be to use something like Tom's 'data file reader' (the name escapes me) to read through your data files and grab the data in each block.  You'd have to write some scripts to turn the output of that into insert statements, and b/c the rest of the data dir is gone, you may end up with data that's no longer valid, but it may be your only option.  Of course, that's just a shot in the dark, anybody else?

BTW -- What version of PG are / were you using?

--Scott