Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On 5/26/09, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> I keep falling into situations where it would be nice to host a server
> somewhere else.  Virtual host solutions and the mysterious cloud are no
> good for the ones I run into though, as disk performance is important for
> all the applications I have to deal with.
>
> What I'd love to have is a way to rent a fairly serious piece of dedicated
> hardware, ideally with multiple (at least 4) hard drives in a RAID
> configuration and a battery-backed write cache.  The cache is negotiable.
> Linux would be preferred, FreeBSD or Solaris would also work; not Windows
> though (see "good DB performance").
>
> Is anyone aware of a company that offers such a thing?

www.contegix.com offer just about the best support I've come across
and are familiar with Postgres. They offer RHEL (and windows) managed
servers on a variety of boxes. They're not a budget outfit though, but
that's reflected in the service.

 +1

  These guys have the servers AND they have the knowledge to really back it up.  If you're looking for co-lo, or complete hands-off management, they're your guys (at a price).

--Scott