Re: Architecting a database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From tony@exquisiteimages.com
Subject Re: Architecting a database
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks for all of the input everyone.

I believe I am going to put together a test case using schemas and
partitioning and then doubling the amount of data currently in the system
to give me an idea of how things will be performing a couple of years down
the road.

I was looking at a server using the new Opteron 6100 series for the new
server and it would have 32 cores, but the speed is 2ghz. I read a post
earlier today that mentioned in passing that it was better to have a
faster processor than more cores. I was wondering whether or not this
would be a good selection since there are CPUs in the Intel branch that
are quad core up to 3.3ghz.