Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 11/20/2017 09:45 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:

>> PostgreSQL.org.
> I disagree and I don't feel it's useful to downplay what Jonathan is
> trying to do here.

I am not downplaying anything Jonathan wrote. I am also pretty sure he
is a big boy and can defend points just fine. I was simply providing my
insight as someone who does quite a bit of advocacy for this community.

> I'm confident that there's quite a few more companies which contribute
> to PostgreSQL development than the two which you list, but I don't think
> it's useful or productive to call out specific companies in the manner
> you have here.

There are but there is no question that EDB and 2Q are the largest
contributors. I am sure others will also increase their portfolio of
services offered to the community should their business deem it is a
good investment. I am not sure why calling out to very successful
companies who are contributing an enormous amount of resources to the
community would not be considered productive. We should be thankful and
gracious to those contributing companies.

> I agree with your later comment that we should work to decrease the
> barrier to entry, but the way to do that is with specific concrete
> recommendations which we can act on.  Let's be positive here instead of
> negative.

Stating a fact is not negative. To your point: Let's have a public issue
tracker that allows not only proper tracking of bugs but also features
and desires of the project so that new and current users can have a
simple interface to determine if there is anything they can help with.

Thanks!

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****