Re: Help specifying new machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From William Yu
Subject Re: Help specifying new machine
Date
List pgsql-performance
Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> The present server is a 2GHz Pentium 4/512 KB cache with 2
> software-raided ide disks (Maxtors) and 1GB of RAM.
>

> I have been offered the following 1U server which I can just about
> afford:
>
> 1U server
> Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 512K cache                      1
> 512MB PC2100 DDR ECC Registered                   2
> 80Gb SATA HDD                                     4
> 4 port SATA card, 3 ware 8506-4                   1
> 3 year next-day hardware warranty                 1

You're not getting much of a bump with this server. The CPU is
incrementally faster -- in the absolutely best case scenario where your
queries are 100% cpu-bound, that's about ~25%-30% faster.

If you could use that money instead to upgrade your current server,
you'd get a much bigger impact. Go for more memory and scsi (raid
controllers w/ battery-backed cache).